I know the husband blogged about this the other day, and probably much more eloquently than I can, but the wild one "graduated" from Pre-K. A graduation ceremony took place at his school. It was a lovely event, and he was darling, but I couldn't get over some aspects of the day.
Maybe I'm too old school. Maybe I have too much of my mother in me. (sorry Mom) But Kindergartners in caps and gowns is too much for me. Huge balloon bouquets and bouquets of roses and gift bags bigger than my head are just too much for me for "graduation" from pre-school. Certainly we should celebrate them, thank God for them and listen to them sing to us, but some things seem overblown. Tell me this, if they wear caps and gowns in Kindergarten, what do they have to look forward to? High school graduation becomes blase. Do these same parents drive up in new cars, offer diamond rings, trips? How do you top it? How do you make it special?
Anway, back to the darling one. He sang for me and waved to me throughout the show. Yes indeed, he was the cutest one up there. My heart burst watching my baby playing the role of a big boy.
It was an interesting year. There were embarassing moments for the mom when he shared my thoughts on a couple of things the school made my buy that I didn't feel were necessary. There were many time outs when he went through a phase at school where he just couldn't sit in circle time without touching his neighbors or walk in line with his hands behind his back. But there was learning his ABCs, singing about Jesus loving him, writing his name, playing air guitar during a school show in front of all the parents and learning how to be a friend.
We got in the car and I turned and said, "Baby, where do you want to get lunch?" He looked me in the eye, smiled and said "Mommy, I'm not a baby. I'm a big boy now." Yes, baby you are.
1 comment:
Rick was quite eloquent-- you made me cry!
Post a Comment