Sunday, June 8, 2008

Desert Hot Springs


I am now working for the City of Desert Hot Springs. DHS is a city of 25,000 people, and it's reputation is one of crime, poverty and property values lower than any other city in the Coachella Valley. I went to work for the City in November, 2007 to work for the City Manager. I worked for him at the Salton Sea Authority. He was hired by the Council to transform the City's image and to bring retail to this struggling city. DHS declared bankruptcy in 2001, and has never financially recovered. The only way to keep the City solvent will be new taxes that will have to be approved by the voters. It's going to be an uphill battle. But DHS is worth it. http://www.cityofdhs.org/ The City Manager has put a team in place that can make things happen. There is optimism in this little town for the first time in a long time.

I had never been to DHS before my interview for the job. I have discovered that there are many incredible places in this little city, and it has a natural resource that will be it's salvation. Water. The drinking water has won international awards for its purity and taste. http://www.mswd.org/operations/awards/BerkeleySprings.htm It is also known for its hot water. There is pure mineral water under the ground that is 170 degrees, and this water is internationally knows for its healing properties. There are approximately 30 hot water resorts in DHS that tap into this resource and offer a retreat into the desert to relax and heal in this incredible water. http://www.visitdeserthotsprings.com/ The most famous of these spas is Two Bunch Palms where Hollywood types go to get away from the hustle of Los Angeles. http://www.twobunchpalms.com/ These spas are high end, beautiful and abundant in our little town.

Then there's Cabot's. http://www.cabotsmuseum.org/ Cabot Yerxa was a visionary who came to DHS before there were roads and discovered the hot and cold water. He built this amazing pueblo and it is now a totally cool museum. There is a foundation that is working on making Cabot's a destination for those visiting the Coachella Valley.

That's my City in a nutshell. I'm proud to be working there, and I have high hopes for this charming, troubled place.




No comments: