Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mufasa weighs in on Memorial Day weekend


Well, it seems that everyone is contributing to the new Green Family Adventures blog, so, I thought I should, too. It's hard to believe that I've been in this corner of the country for nearly 40 months. I landed here in March 2004 and the rest of the family joined me in August of that year. In many ways, the years have raced by. The distance is great sometimes, and I miss our family and friends more than I like to admit. It's easy to occasionally take people and situations for granted as you focus on career goals and objectives. I've been thinking a lot about all of this the past week. Last Monday, one of my friends in our Advertising Department lost her husband. He was just 32 and died in his sleep overnight. She awoke around 6 a.m. and couldn't stir him from his sleep. He was 10 years younger than me and left behind a beautiful wife and 20-month-old son. The tragedy has resonated so much with me. We never know what is going to happen to us. Just today at church, we read a passage from the New Testament about how we should live for the day and not dwell on tomorrow. What's the old Garth Brooks song? "If Tomorrow Never Comes." I want us to enjoy every day during this Wild West adventure, soaking up these experiences, embracing the opportunities before us and enjoying the new special friendships we've forged...even as we hope that someday, the road will take us back closer to our families and friends in Ohio and Kentucky. I end the night thinking not only about those 2,400 miles away from us, but also my beautiful wife and the four children who bring us such great joy and happiness. Give each other a hug tonight, even as we prepare to end another day in this beautiful oasis in the middle of Southern California's desert. I'm such a fortunate man.

No comments: