Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scholars
















Back in the day, I was a good student. Some would say a very good student. I always had at least one E or A that I could take to the local ice cream shop to cash in for a scoop of free ice cream.






My offspring, however, are scholars, and I'm remarkably proud of each of them. Here they are on the first day of school. Have you seen such eager students?

Abigail is in the IB Program at her high school. This is a program that is teaching these kids in high school the things I learned in college. She's dissecting fetal pigs, and that was a lab in second year Biology at Xavier. She's taking five honors classes this year, and she's getting A's in all but one. All A's with one exception. She does homework on Friday afternoon to keep her weekend free for her volunteer work at the local zoo. She's also the President of the Environmental Club this year. If something is due Friday, it's done Monday or Tuesday to leave time for the extra credit assignments.
Elly goes to an IB school, too. She just got her report card and she got all A's. Yes, a 4.0. Now this one waits to the last minute to complete assignments, but obviously the pressure motivates her. She received some honors last week at school for her academic pursuits.

Katy also attends an IB school. She's on a 1 to 5 scale on which a 5 means you've mastered your grade level material. Katy is well on her way to 5th grade. She's an avid reader who does power point reports for fun in her spare time.

And that leaves the Wild One. He's bringing home books to read now. He's mastered the basic Kindergarten objectives like knowing his colors and alphabet. His handwriting is improving, and his teacher says he's on track. He's even settling in and following the rules. A big accomplishment for this bundle of energy.
I find myself marveling at these four scholars. School wasn't this hard when I was a kid. I'm so proud of them. Congratulations, guys.

No comments: