Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prayer for the Country

Last night I took three of the four to a pre-election prayer service. Our Youth and Family Ministry Coordinator organized a non-partisan event that offered the opportunity to pray for our nation at a time when our nation really needs prayer. Republicans and Democrats alike stood side by side and listened to the words of Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln and Jesus of Nazareth. We were reminded of our responsbility for one another and this country that affords us the freedom to worship and speak out on anthing for which we feel passionate. We sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic and America the Beautiful and the Star Spangled Banner.

The kids and I talked about how lucky we are to live in a free society, and how we must respect one another's beliefs, even when they differ from ours. We talked about equality for all people, not just the ones that are like us. We celebrated our freedom.

"My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing."

No comments: